3 Amazing images you just must see…and a video to blow your mind!!!
I have worked on quite a few interesting projects in the past few months. The video for my friend P.SO’s song “Quasars”, chief among them. In the post below I’ll explore the process that I went through to create the video clips that went into that project. The scenes I made come from a story I created called “dot-EXE” (or possibly “Random.Access.Machinery). It follows the story of 3 kids being shot into space and ending up stranded on a planet of robots.
The process starts with the story excerpt below:
A bright red LAUNCH button glows and buzzes. The rhythmic alert intermittently drowns out the sound of light snoring.
“Wake up”….”Stevie wake up”….”wake UP”. Stevie jolts sharply awake from London’s stout jab to his arm.
“Oww, hey London come on…oh, yeah”. London silences any further argument by swiftly directing Stevie’s attention to Branson, sitting in the front of the space pod readying the communication from the section 24 launchmaster.
“I’ve got the launchmaster on the main screen London” Branson is good with computers “There’s some magnetic interference but the signal is holding at 93%”…very good with computers.
I write all my scripts in prose I don’t have shot breakdowns or any stage direction-like annotations. I feel that If I write the story well enough the essence of how everything should look should come across, and while it may not be exact, the artist’s (also me, but still applies) interpretation of the story will add to the whole.
The next step is the thumbnail. I’m not sure if I’m just horrible at thumbnails but mine look terrible. I’m just not concerned with how it looks it’s just a composition and angle thing. I don’t show clients thumbnails and I’m sure you can see why but I feel like it is good to show sometimes just so people understand that things look very different in the formative stages. These thumbnails have some directions on them because I intended to animate them.
The pencil stage is where I am much more concerned about how the image looks. The composition stays largely the same, I just flesh it out and make each shot a fully realized image. At this point I should note the backgrounds and characters are all designed by this point so I’m not just creating them on the fly after the thumbnails, but in the interest of brevity (and since I posted them elsewhere) I left them off this post.
I don’t actually end up with a comic book page for a project like this, but for display purposes I composted the shots that I created and later animated in Adobe After Effects into a comic. Everything is very strait forward and somewhat technical after the pencil drawing, I ink the drawing, and color it in Photoshop. The difference with an animated project is that before I color I “cut out” all the portions of the image that I intend to animate and I have to fill in the drawings so that I can move the characters over the background.
…And now. Without further preamble I give you the debut of scene one of dot-EXE.